Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Name of the Wind was a really great book.  It is the fantasy genre story of Kvothe, the fierce hero and prodigy.  Much is told as his own recounting of his life story, but the frame story adds an element of ominous mystery.  It's so long (722 pages in the library version) that I wouldn't have read it except that it was chosen for my book club; I'm so glad it was.  Even though it was a big time investment, it was worth it.  The world in which it is set has depth and mystery, the characters are complex and intriguing; and the narrative is well-written and compelling.  It isn't dark, exactly, but it is weighty and original with a serious edge.

One thing that made the length manageable is that I was able to read a little at a time, at least for the first two-thirds of the book.  If I had done my usual I-can't-stand-it-I-just-have-to-read-constantly-til-it's-finished thing I would have had to seriously neglect my family!  As it was, it wasn't boring or frustrating, I just enjoyed a little piece each night... until it got really exciting, that is.

I will definitely be continuing to read the series.  The next book, The Wise Man's Fear, is already out but we have to wait for the third book of the trilogy.  I recommend it for anyone who enjoys full-bodied fantasy - you'll love this story. 

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment